About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

J is for Journey

"The journey is the reward" and ain't that the truth.

I first stumbled across this saying when I was an avid Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan fan in high school.  Phil Jackson, the coach, was somewhat of a Zen master and the notion of the journey being the reward first came to me from his mouth.

I'm sure I didn't really know what it meant at the time, but I now value it as one of life's most precious and vital lessons.  I mean, it's right up there with "Stop and smell the roses" and "Time waits for no man". 

Not to mention this gem from my brother "You've got to take a step backwards to go forward."

I remember perhaps the first time I truly understood this saying in practice.  I once worked with a young woman dying from cancer.  She told me that she would have rathered lived her final ten months with cancer the way she lived after her diagnosis, than have lived another 80 years the way she'd previously lived.

I held onto that conversation and tried to put it into practice after she died.  Going for a run when I didn't feel like exercising - telling myself I had the privilege to run when she didn't.  At times I forgot, but having my own breast cancer diagnosis firmly implanted the notion.  And you know what?  The journey really is the reward.



7 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Jodie. And such a great approach to living!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, and a great attitude! I think I'm going to steal it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great post and wonderful to try and live by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So right!
    we would all be different if we knew our time was limited. And yet we DO know our time is limited, just not by how much!

    auntyamo
    http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the story and the reminder. It's too easy (and society supports the notion) to focus on the goal and miss the journey. Yep.

    Well written and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inspiring! It truly is the journey and what one makes of it that makes the difference between living a life well lived and one that is simply an existence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you wrote about the young woman dying of cancer and how she said she'd rather live her final months with cancer than another day the way she lived before really resonates with me. Being a survivor myself I totally understand. A very good friend of mine was told her Lymphoma had returned after a 14 year remission and I'm going to share these words with her. You are so right, it is all about the ride, not the destination.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...