About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Art Gallery

A is also for Arlee Bird who founded the A-Z challenge - THANKS ARLEE!

Art is not necessarily my area of expertise.  But as with wine, I may not know exactly what I'm talking about, but I do know what I like.

Upon reflection, I have had the pleasure and great privilege to have spent hours perusing some of the world's most famous and recognisable art galleries and museums, and along with them, the fabulous and often historic pieces that grace their walls.

I've visited Velazquez's Menina's at El Prado in  Madrid.  So taken was I by la infanta Margarita, that I now have a little statue of her on my fridge.



The extensive corridors of the Louvre have been visited on many occasions, always with the same destinations in mind, Mona and Venus in particular.

The Burghers of Callais at Museo de Rodin moved me to tears and the enormity of Picasso's Guernica at the Reina Sofia in Madrid both impressed and overwhelmed.

I've been to the MoMA and the MET, the Guggenheim in Bilbao, and the Vatican Museum to gaze at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.  Here's the proof.


 Yes.  It's all so cliched.  But here is my point.  I've been lucky enough to travel and see a little bit of the world, but I have not once ever passed through the doors of the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne, Victoria - my home state.  Shame on me.

I hereby declare my intent to rectify that situation today, April 1st, 2013.  Who knows what treasures have been right under my nose all this time.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post! You definitely have been fortunate to have traveled to such wonderful destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've created some wonderful memories. Your post is making me want to go somewhere far away and look at art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said about maybe not knowing much about art, but knowing what art you like. Yes - isn't that ultimately the point? And I know what you mean about looking 'out there' at the art and theater and whatever else it is we seek - and in the process missing what's nearby.

    Nice kickoff post!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...