About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

#37 Bad Dreams

My nephews had a sleep over Friday night, after we'd spent the evening at the carnival that is in town for Summer.  The boys are six and eight and are the loves of my life.

Sadly, the little one has been having nightmares after watching a movie where a random single foot hopped around on its own, causing trouble and doing things like sticking its big toe in a lady's nose.  Hmmmm.

Poor little dude can't sleep or do anything on his own because he's sure he can hear the foot coming for him!  Needless to say, no-one has been sleeping in his house.  Friday night was my turn.

When it first started, we drew pictures of the foot and told happy endings to the foot story.  That didn't work.

Then we took the foot pictures and burnt them in the fireplace.  Adios foot!  That didn't work.

We strung up a dream catcher...... that didn't work either.

I concocted a special 'good dream mist' made up of water and lavender oil in a spray bottle and sprayed his room before bed-time.  Nope, that didn't work either.

The 'no sleep' situation has turned into a battle of the wills with his parents.

When bed time rolled around on Friday night at the very late hour of 10.30pm, we read a bed-time story called "When I'm Scared" and he immediately rolled over and went to sleep.  Magic.

At 2am though, he came in and asked if we could all get up now.  Um, no we can't.  But I've had a bad dream.....

At least this time it wasn't about a foot.....

Before long the eight year old joined us, soon to be followed by the dog.  Why not?  At least I only have to deal with it for one night.

Do you have any novel ideas for helping kids get over their fears/nightmares?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...