About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

#34 Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Have you ever seen Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid? 

It's a Steve Martin film that came out in 1982, shot in black and white and made with snippets from a heap of old films starring people like Humphrey Bogart, Carey Grant and Ingrid Bergman.  It is so very clever.

Anyway, Steve Martin's character goes crazy anytime someone says "cleaning woman" because his father ran off with the cleaning woman, leaving his mother to die with a broken heart.

Today I got my own "cleaning woman" and it reminded me of this film. 

Pre-cancer I was a cleaner, more organised person.  I washed my car every weekend and nothing was ever out of place.

Post-cancer, I can't think of a worse way to spend my precious life than cleaning.  It's such a thankless task.  Hours are spent cleaning and for a brief few moments, that sense of reward sinks in..... until someone moves and it's dirty again.

Can I afford a cleaning woman on a single person's salary with a big mortgage?  Probably not.

Can I afford NOT to have a cleaning woman?  I don't think so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...