About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Friday, February 7, 2014

#45 A Sense of Belonging

Community spirit is alive and well where I live. 

Last weekend we entered a team in the Spin 4Bryn fundraiser to raise money for a local young man who was injured in a road accident while travelling overseas.  Because the accident didn't happen in Australia, he didn't benefit from the usual assistance that would've been available to him.

I'm happy to report that our team raised $570 and road a whopping 673km to contribute to a total of over $11,000.00 for Bryn.

The atmosphere at the event was nothing short of inspirational.  To read a local newspaper article about Bryn and one of the event co-ordinators, Barrie Warran, click here.

Tonight, I head out to volunteer at our local Relay for Life run by the Cancer Council Australia, to raise money for cancer research, treatment, and support services in general.  This is an annual event that bonds a community in the shared experiencing of wanting a cure for cancer.

My second Relay after my own treatment had finished, I was honoured to be invited to speak to the Carers and Survivors at the event, as well as represent them and cut the ribbon to start the 24 hour relay walk.



Generosity appears to be in the DNA of all Australians and I feel so blessed to be a part of such a giving local community, and to call myself Australian.

The times I've witnessed this spirit in action is innumerable, and I haven't even told you about Peter's Project yet.  That deserves a whole post of its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...