About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

#5 Escritura Rapida

My writing class in the Literary Kitchen started again this weekend.  Part of the class each week is to be given a topic, set your timer for 8 minutes, and write quickly.  It's called a Quick Write.  You then have a minute to tidy it up, then post it for all to see.

This week's topic was "Salad Bar".  You should give it a go!

Here's what I came up with:

The transition from Sizzler Salad Bar to Ristorante Italiano complete with menu unreadable to the naive 21yo English only speaking female occurred over night.
He walked through the door of the massage therapy clinic I was working for.  I had read his name in the appointment book – Fred – and was expecting an 80 year old man.  Honestly, I was looking forward to the conversation as I massaged his life weary limbs and joints.  Instead, the captain of the local basketball team, American import, tall, African American, amazing, walked in.
Fred was charming.  Of course.  He’d just arrived in town.  Did I know any nice restaurants?  Would I like to go out for dinner some time?  Who could resist.  He was the city’s equivalent of Michael Jordan.
He rang that night.  Dinner was set for the next day.  I dressed up in my most sophisticated 21 year old clothes, feeling at least 25, and met him at the restaurant.  Clearly intimidated by his 10 year age advantage, not to mention his worldliness and African Americanness, I’m not sure how I managed to walk through the door.
Then I looked at the menu.  It was completely written in Italian.  I couldn’t understand a word.  And so began my education in travel, culture, international cuisine and life.  If nothing else, I can thank Fred for planting the seed for that part of me that I wanted to continue to grow and nurture.
A while after he left, breaking my heart, I went to the letter box to find a magazine containing an interview with him.  He was now living in China.  He said, “I’ve lived in a lot of countries and I’ve noticed that we all want the same thing.  To be happy.”  And he was right.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie, I am doing the A-Z challenge and our blogs are listed near each other. I'm 1.5 years into the 40 club and loving it, I look forward to reading more of your blogs - best wishes with the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ida, How sweet of you to write. Best of luck on your challenge too! I've never done anything like this before, but will be sure to follow your blog.
      Thank you!
      Jodie

      Delete

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...