About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

#4 That damn greener grass......

I remember reading a Dolly magazine interview with then 23 yo Cindy Crawford.  Two pearls of wisdom from Cindy stayed with me. 

1.        The notion of having a signature scent.  For many, many years I was a Giorgio diehard.  It’s only been more recently, thanks to the advent of Strawberrynet that I have branched out to trying a variety of scents.

2.       The concept that an increase in years typically results in a decline in metabolism.  Imagine Cindy Crawford at 23 having to worry about her weight..... regardless, my 17 year old brain stored that little gem away, anticipating the time of life when I would be adding on average one kilo per year.

Yesterday, the memory of that life-changing edition of Dolly came jolting back.  A lovely, newly engaged friend came around to try on my wedding dress.  Both of us believers in the pointlessness of spending thousands of dollars on a dress to be worn only once.

Don’t worry, I have been acutely aware for some time now that I no longer possess the figure I had on my wedding day.  Factors my mind allows me to consider as major contributors to said change include: extreme spontaneous weight loss in the lead up to the wedding; cancer treatment; decline in exercise (ability and motivation); and of course, the big one – age.  Welcome to 40!

It may seem obvious, but I have seriously only realised that it is no longer helpful for my self esteem to compare myself in any way, shape or form to women who are in their twenties.

In fact, comparisons of any form are rarely helpful.  Think about it, no matter what the scale of measure, there will ALWAYS be those better off than us, as well as the rarely considered those who are less well off than us.

I have discovered, that if on the very odd occasion I must do a little reality check to see how I am travelling in terms of health and fitness (read: ‘ego boost’), it only works if I compare myself to women over 60.  Even then, it sometimes fails.  Damn you Helen Miren!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...