About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

#13 Scrivener and the Scaredy Cat

This week when I picked up my nephews from school, I became the victim of that familiar childhood taunt "Made you look, you big fat chook, hanging on the butcher's hook".  They thought it was hysterical.

It reminded me of another childhood song we had:

"Scaredy cat from Ballarat
Went to school and got the strap...."

Which brings me to the topic of today's post.  I am indeed, despite my Leoness-ness, a scaredy cat.  What am I scared of?  I'm not sure it's any one thing, but the likely candidates are: hard work; being overwhelmed; not knowing where to start; and perhaps even that old gem, failure.

When I'm scared, I procrastinate and that's exactly what I have been doing since finishing my last writing class.  Procrastinating. 

Until today.


Armed with my cup of tea, the print-outs of all 24 assignments I've written in the Literary Kitchen and not to mention Scrivener, I have started organising my book - ready to write draft 2.

Scrivener is a software program I have downloaded for a free trial.  It's a virtual binder/cork board/note book that allows you to take the first draft of your manuscript and begin to format and organise it into something more.  For the next step in the process.

I have to say I'm finding it incredibly user friendly.  It has allowed me to take chunks out of existing chapters and move them around freely within my 'binder' - much more user friendly than a Word document.  I have even been able to separate my book into sections and chapters.  Scrivener even allows me to see how often I use particular words!

This is particularly useful to me as my writing friends often pointed out my overuse of the word "was".  It's incredible how annoying that word becomes once you are made aware of its presence.

So, I am ready.  Ready for Draft 2.  Encouraged as ever by everyone I love, and especially by my new writing family. 

Here we go!


9 comments:

  1. Oh, Jodie! Go for it! With everything you have. I told you the response it had in San Francisco. All you have to do is write it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always for your endless encouragement. It truly does make all the difference Rocky.
      x

      Delete
  2. Go, Jodie, go! You can do it, I know you can.

    And I know exactly what you mean, call me your never-met-twin: "scared of ...hard work [of editing/rewriting/revising]; being overwhelmed; not knowing where to start; and perhaps even that old gem, failure. When I'm scared, I procrastinate..."

    Thank you for posting this - and for your experience with Scrivener. Therein lies my procrastination! I downloaded a free trial during NaNoWriMo (ahem, two years ago) and then took my NaNoWin and later purchased a full version of said Scrivener at 50% off (when the Windows version was available). And I've gone into it twice. I've heard raves about it ... and I was overwhelmed by those same twin syndrome symptoms *wink*. I'll be following your experience with it. And with the writing, rewriting, editing, organizing process.

    Onward with draft 2! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Twinnie! I'm hoping there is still a Windows version..... I have the trial and am planning on paying $40 when my 30 non-consecutive are up. At this pace, that should be sometime in 2014 hahaha! So far, I'm liking it as it seems to work the same way as my brain.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! I know exactly what you mean about procrastination but failure is not an option. Completing the book makes you a winner and just like the "build it and they will come" quote in Field of Dreams the same is true here. Write it and they will read it:) Also, thanks for the tip on Scrivener, I've never heard of this program so will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're finding that software easy to use - I got lost (or scared!) and went back to Word. All the best with the writing - I know your book is going to be a hit! It's already so awesome! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting, and just the right thing to do! I'm glad on I'm your list of readers!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...