About Me

My photo
I started this blog as I entered my 40th year, and now firmly in my 40s, I continue to learn so much about life. I'm learning that life rarely goes according to plan and that there's something new to learn every single day, be it a subtle nudge or a smack in the face.... This is my blog about muddling through my 40s-working hard, writing a book, being an ammateur photographer, trying to exercise and eat well, endeavouring to be the world's best aunt, as well as having fun and laughing out loud every single day.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

#9 And running will set you free...

When I finished my doctorate in 2008 I needed a new goal.  Done with flexing my brain, I needed a physical challenge and so, I decided I would train for my first marathon.

A miracle arrived in the form of my running coach Al.  Al, a gentle man in his 60's, had a passion for running rivalled by none.  Every Saturday morning Al arrived bright and early with his infectious smile and ran with me.  We started slowly and walked for a large part of session.  He told me I didn't run like a girl and I became his biggest fan.

Al wrote me a program that I followed through the week on my own and looked forward to showing off my progress every Saturday.  Before I knew it, I entered my first 10km fun run and sprinted up hills without much huffing and puffing at all.  I felt so alive.

Six months in, I fractured my foot and took a break from running.  Unfortunately, not long after breast cancer got in the way and I have only relatively recently been able to put my running shoes back on.

Instead of running 10km, I'm only running 3 or 4, but that doesn't matter.  I am running!  I love to run.  I love that it hurts as I challenge my body.  I know what it can take.  It can take a lot.

On the weekend I purchased a new set of headphones and I ran with music for the first time in a long time and guess what..... I doubled my exercise time!

I sang out loud and ran faster than usual, motivated so much by the music playing only for me.  It's only been a week and I've run four times.  Once again, I'm starting to think about it when I'm doing anything else, planning my day around when I can run.

This is living.

Al changed my life and sadly I don't live near him anymore, but I think of him every time I lace up my Asics running shoes - one of the best people I have ever known.

x

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, Jodie! Great post! Not only am I inspired to keep on exercising ... swimming in my case ... but I'd love to be like Al, to positively affect people's lives. Keep running!!! And keep singing!!! And keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback, so please leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...